new year resolutions

by - Wednesday, January 11, 2017

No, don’t worry, this isn’t going to be one of those basic “new year, new me” posts about New Year resolutions, or at least I hope so. I took my time over these two weeks asking other people about their resolutions and deciding what mine should be. My main focus was on how to be a better version of myself, you know that version you have in your head but things just get into your way so you somehow aren’t how you would like to be? Well, I want to be that person, so better now than never. 

What is my ideal version of myself is the question you have to ask yourself in order to become it. Do you want to become fluent in more than one language, do you want people to notice your style, do you want to educate your self on a certain topic? Doesn’t really seem that hard once you start doing it, trust me. The point is, you mustn’t set your goals too high and expect them to come true after a month. Keep them humble, work on them as often as you can, don’t let stupid reasons keep you from doing them, and sooner than you know it you’ll arrive to the finish line.

So, what are my goals? I chose 7 goals for 2017, let’s start.

1. Read one book per month.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a book hoarder. I have about 20 books at home that I really really want to read, but somehow never manage to do it. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading, I truly do, but I always end up spending endless hours just refreshing Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr. And I hate myself for it. So, after talking to my best friend, I decided to steal his idea of reading at least one book per month. It can be any book, long, short, poetry, short stories, a novel.. Doesn’t matter. Reading makes you more eloquent and in my case, it calms you. Plus, you get to forget about the rest of the world for a while as you get lost in that universe. 


2Watch more classical movies
Recently I gave myself a task of watching old movies. And nevertheless, I loved them. Casablanca got into my top 5, so I asked myself, why not do this more often? I decided I should educate myself on this topic as I am quite a cinephile, watching old movies and the classics, for example Aubrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe, The Godfather and such. To be honest, this is probably going to be the easiest and most fun goal of 2017. hahaha.

3. Finish a sketchbook
As some of you may know, I am currently studying Fashion Design at TTF here in Zagreb, and even though drawing is kinda going to be my career, I find great joy in just taking my watercolours, paper and brushes and drawing whatever. Sometimes, it can be a stupid little doodle, sometimes I’m quite proud of it, but what’s most important, it relaxes me. Amid all of the stress of the student life, I found my little ray of sunshine in drawing, so when I rediscovered the almost blank sketchbook I own, I decided to make it my goal for 2017 to fill it. Who knows, I may finish it within months, I may get worse or better, maybe I don’t finish it, but I can only hope I will continue working on something that I love as much as I love that and make myself a happier person. 


4. Spend less time worrying about what others think
It’s not worth it. Truly. You do you and never give a damn about what others are thinking. You do you because of you, unapologetically. Wear that dress, ask that question, go there, wear that lipstick, listen to that band. Just, do you. And you’ll be satisfied.

5. Save money in order to travel
When you’re organised and know what you want, saving money isn’t that hard. And what do I love the most in the world? Travelling, after all, I am a Sagittarius. Travelling for me doesn’t necessarily mean going away for a month to another continent, it can be a road trip to a town nearby yours, just as long it’s fun and you see something new. What do I want to see in 2017? Well, everything. But we all know that’s not going to happen. So my goal is to visit Venice, Barcelona, Rijeka and Vienna once more. Fingers crossed, wallet shut. Good luck to me.


6. Organise time better
Ok so, I’m a procrastinator. Big time. Should probably get an award for it. And I despise it. I have so many things I want to do, and so much time to do them. But no. I’m just gonna lay in my bed scrolling. Thus, I decided to get more organised this year, I even bought a super cute Van Gogh planner. How do I plan on doing this? First of all, hide my phone when I come home. I swear to God, it sucks me in and suddenly 3 hours have gone past and I am still wearing shoes. Then, do things as they come my way. No more laters, just do it Paula, you’re gonna forget it later, you know you will. And last, reward myself. After you do everything you had to do, why not get back to bed and watch a movie, a classic maybe? Bam, 2 goals in one.


7. Finish my first year of University in time
The last goal of 2017. is to not fail any of my exams, making myself and my parents proud. Just study, do what you love, don’t overstress, enjoy your life as you do it, and make yourself the person you truly want to be.

Ta-da! Done, or should I say, just starting. I wish you all the best and I hope you all get to finish at least 50% of the goals you set for yourself in 2017. Good luck! 

love always,

paula avalon xx

You May Also Like

0 comments